Thursday, March 01, 2018

Mother - Daughter Must Watch

Today I spent my weekly me-time by watching Lady Bird. One word. WOW. I’m not trying to be some kind of a snotty movie critic who thinks she’s capable to judge movies, write about it and then share it everywhere. I don’t write reviews often enough to be that kind of blogger. And this is not exactly a movie review either. I do want to share my opinion about Lady Bird though. Why? BECAUSE IT’S AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!

SPOILER ALERT. Lady Bird is a very insightful movie. This is the kind of movie which you can totally relate to. Especially if you are a woman, who naturally used to be a teenager. But in this case more of an “adventurous” one if I must describe it to be more precise. Lady Bird sums up pretty much everything that most of a teenage girl will and has to go through. Struggling with grades at school, having conflicts with mother, fighting with besties, changing BFFs, drinking those first sips of alcohol, smoking, falling in love with jerks, writing the boy’s name on the wall or every space available, breaking boys’ hearts, being heartbroken, partying and... Everything else šŸ˜… 

Sadly there are lots of things that I forgot about my teenage years. But thanks to Lady Bird movie I do remember, just like Christine, during teenager years I had my tough times with Mom. I remember we had fights because she didn’t like my highschool boyfriend. Now I know that she must knew whenever I lied to her (God-given special gift to mothers). I get it now why Mom always had a car and a driver ready to take me anywhere I needed to be. I was never allowed to be in the same car with my friends, most of the time driven by a boy who probably didn't have his driving license yet. I totally understand now why Mom never allow me to go out at nights. Almost all of my friends were allowed to go out until whenever they wanted. Meanwhile I had to be at home latest at 6pm! Now that I am a mother of a daughter myself, I totally understand why. I’m very sorry that I hated Mom for everything.

Throughout the movie I wanted to scream at Christine’s mom. I dislike her character sooo much!!! Yup. Laurie Metcalf’s acting is THAT good! While focusing on the big theater screen I keep promising myself not to be that kind of mother to Kukka. I vowed that I will be the kind of cool mom who Kukka would be proud to show off to her friends. But whenever Christine has fights with her mom, I instantly remember my arguments with Kukka. The second Christine asked her mother "But do you like me?" I remember Kukka's expression and the sound of her voice when she said “I know you don’t care...” (This one still cracks me up! šŸ˜‚) So yeah... I definitely AM a mother and probably NOT that cool after all. 

I don't want to spoil too much about this awesome movie. The point is I totally understand why Lady Bird gets Oscar nominations as Best Picture, Actress in a Leading Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Directing and Writing. And that's not all! Lady Bird also gets nominations in Screen Actors Guild Award, Critics' Choice Movie Award, Golden Globe Award, BAFTA Award and I don't know what else. And while writing this blogpost, I just told Kukka to remind me that when she's 18, I want us to watch Lady Bird together. Why?

Because it's THAT good.


No comments: