Friday, September 11, 2020

SUDEP

SUDEP: Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy. I didn't even know there's such thing until I found a mother on Twitter with the username: @bugsme012 who tweets every single day:

"Every day in memory of my son and every victim of SUDEP"




I think I found her twitter because @BrainAblaze retweeted the tweet and I'm following @BrainAblaze... Then a couple of days later I heard the news that a certain young celebrity passed away because of SUDEP. Cameron Boyce was only 20 years old when he died because of complications of epilepsy. He died in his sleep after a seizure... And then I was like "Huh??? You really can DIE in your sleep after a seizure???" After that since Anti-NMDAR Encephalitis is pretty much related to epilepsy, I'm starting to dig more about what SUDEP is.

Apparently according to Know SUDEP Now, Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy, while rare, can occur when a person with epilepsy dies because of a related accident or seizure emergency. You have an increased risk of SUDEP if the tonic-clonic seizures in your sleep are uncontrolled and you sleep alone. Snow I know WHY there are times when I wake up drenched in sweat and panting heavily as if I just run up and down the stairs for 2 hours!!!! Yes, it happened. I have a seizure and then I fall asleep. But I wouldn't know if I don't wake up with my tees soaking wet, my pillow has a giant drool island or some body parts hurt (because I hit something accidentaly). There are also times when I just wake up in shock and ask myself "What the fuck just happened????" SUDEP occurs more frequently in people whose seizures are poorly controlled though. So hopefully when I take my medicines on time and avoid stuff that can trigger seizures umm... I guess...I'll be safe? Fingers crossed! Avoiding the physical stuff is easy. The emotional ones on the other hand... 

Sleep seizure or also known as nocturnal seizure disrupts your sleep and makes you dizzy during daytime, which can increase the risk of seizures. Why? Because lack of sleep can also increase your chance to have seizures. Unfortunately going to sleep is not that easy for people with epilepsy. Why? Oh it's complicated :)) According to Epilepsy Action Australia, diagnosing nocturnal seizures can be difficult because they happen during sleep, and the person may not be aware of them happening. Yup! That's true :)) It even happened to me during EEG and I didn't know! Of course my beloved dr. Rocksy already explained to me these types of seizures. Unsurprisingly I forgot all about it BUT fortunately I already blogged about it :) (Doc Rocksy Menjelaskan) Now I've become aware of this SUDEP thing which turns out to be...possible. I wonder why dr. Rocksy never mention about it to me though... Or maybe she did??? 

Anyways... Now I understand... No wonder my daughter and the maids like to check up on me when I'm sleeping or just chilling in the bedroom. Kukka would get close to me while I'm lying on my bed and she touches my arm or just calls my name. Sometimes while we're busy doing our own things, Dewi would knock on my bedroom door, calls me and takes a peek. Or Kukka would just screams out my name from her bedroom using that loud and cute voice of hers :) Apparently I had seizures during sleeping and my daughter witnessed those moments. My poor baby must be quite traumatized :( I talked about it with Kukka while I was writing. Her response:

"Now I'm calmer because I know what to do to help you." -Kukka-

How can I NOT love her THIS much. My beloved precious godsend :*




No comments: